BOOKS BY JO JAKEMAN
In SAFE HOUSE, Charlie moves to a remote Cornish village after she is released from prison for providing a false alibi for her boyfriend. Her alibi made it possible for Lee Fisher to kill again.
Now living under a new identity, Charlie struggles to put the past behind her but she isn't the only one. Someone knows who she is and what she has done.
And they don't think she deserves a second chance.
Released in hardback and eBook 31 October 2019. Paperback January 2021.
'An excellent, page-turning psychological suspense novel . . . Kept me guessing to the end' Jenny Quintana, author of The Missing Girl
'Gripping, tense and chillingly claustrophobic' Karen Hamilton, author of The Perfect Girlfriend
'I was absolutely gripped by this tale of secrets, lies, and the impossibility of running away from your past. I struggled to put this book down. Fantastic!' Luca Veste, author of The Bone Keeper
'Nerve-wrackingly tense and paranoia-inducing, with a sense of unease that just won't let go. I loved every minute!' Roz Watkins, author of Dead Man's Daughter
'Twisty and so well plotted' Amanda Reynolds, author of The Hidden Wife
'Atmospheric and beautifully written but edge-of-your-seat tense too' Phoebe Locke, author of The July Girls
STICKS AND STONES
May 2nd, 2019
Aaaaaaand she's out in paperback with a snazzy new cover!
‘Revenge is a dish served with lashings of relish in this vivid, blackly comic suspense novel, as three women fight back against an abusive partner. I cheered them on to the bloody end’
LOUISE CANDLISH, author of OUR HOUSE
'A revenge thriller to make you punch the air in solidarity’
EVA DOLAN, author of THIS IS HOW IT ENDS
‘Witty and satirical while illuminating a dilemma often faced by women when their marriages break up’
MARCEL BERLINS, THE TIMES
‘A cracking pace, plenty of twists and some well judged dark humour’
LAURA WILSON, GUARDIAN
‘A page-turning debut… a twisiting tale of revenge’
MAIL ON SUNDAY
‘A page-turner of a domestic thriller and a fabulous story of revenge with incredibly well drawn leading characters’
‘A gripping story, sensitively told’
LAURA MARSHALL, author of FRIEND REQUEST
‘Deliciously dark and gripping’
EMILY KOCH, author of IF I DIE BEFORE I WAKE
STICKS AND STONES HARDBACK
July 12, 2018
A wickedly dark debut thriller about three women who've all been involved with the same man and realize the one thing they have in common is that they all want revenge against him...
Divorces are often messy, and Imogen's is no exception. Phillip Rochester is controlling, abusive, and determined to make things as difficult as possible. When he shows up without warning demanding that Imogen move out of their house by the end of the month or he'll sue for sole custody of their young son, Imogen is ready to snap.
In a moment of madness, Imogen does something unthinkable--something that puts her in control for the first time in years. She's desperate to protect her son and to claim authority over her own life.
But she wasn't expecting both Phillip's ex-wife and new girlfriend to get tangled up in her plans. These three very different women--and unlikely allies--reluctantly team up to take revenge against a man who has wronged them all.
THE EXES' REVENGE
September 11, 2018
The Exes' Revenge is what 'Sticks and Stones' is called in America and Canada. I love the different cover and title.
BOOK CLUB QUESTIONS
1. WHEN SHE IS RELEASED FROM PRISON, CHARLIE FEARS THAT PEOPLE THINK SHE HASN’T BEEN ADEQUATELY PUNISHED. HOW DO YOU THINK SOCIETY REACTS TO EX- PRISONERS? ARE WE ABLE TO FORGIVE CRIMES WHEN THE SENTENCE HAS BEEN SERVED, OR DO WE CONTINUE TO JUDGE PEOPLE BY THEIR PAST?
2. CHARLIE CHOOSES TO MOVE SOMEWHERE REMOTE WHEN SHE IS RELEASED. WAS THIS THE RIGHT DECISION? WHERE WOULD YOU GO IF YOU WANTED TO ‘DISAPPEAR’?
3. HOW MUCH OF A ROLE DID THE MEDIA PLAY IN TURNING THE PUBLIC AGAINST CHARLIE? HOW DOES THE MEDIA PORTRAY WOMEN DIFFERENTLY FROM MEN?
4. CHARLIE FEELS GUILTY FOR THE DEATH OF ANNA ATKINS AND KATY FOSTER. HOW MUCH IS SHE TO BLAME?
5. CHARLIE ALWAYS TRIES TO SEE THE BEST IN PEOPLE. THOUGH THAT HAS CAUSED HER DIFFICULTIES IN THE PAST (SUCH AS BELIEVING EVERYTHING THAT LEE TOLD HER), HOW DOES THIS HELP HER WHEN SHE IS SETTLING IN TO PENDERRION?
6. IN WHAT CIRCUMSTANCES – IF ANY – DO YOU BELIEVE CRIMINALS DESERVE ANONYMITY? CAN YOU UNDERSTAND WHY SOME PEOPLE WOULD WANT TO EXACT REVENGE ONCE A PERSON IS RELEASED FROM PRISON? CAN YOU THINK OF ANY CIRCUMSTANCES WHERE YOU MIGHT WANT TO TAKE REVENGE ON SOMEONE?
7. IF SHE HADN’T GONE TO PRISON, CHARLIE MIGHT HAVE NEVER LEFT PINCHDALE – CAN A POSITIVE SPIN BE PUT ON HER NEGATIVE EXPERIENCES? DID IT ENCOURAGE HER TO GROW? IN WHAT WAY DID IT IMPROVE HER LIFE?
8. WHAT’S NEXT FOR CHARLIE? CAN SHE HOPE TO LEAD A ‘NORMAL’ LIFE NOW? HOW WILL SHE BE FOREVER ALTERED BY HER EXPERIENCES?